Friday, June 26, 2015

Don't land in the poop!

Poop happens.
And in foreign countries and many dog parks/parks are the US...
You have to watch out for poop as you walk up and down the street.
Stepping in it can ruin your entire day,
In Egypt this takes on a whole different form.
Not only do you want to avoid stepping in it,
but if you have a feisty young camel like me,
you want to avoid falling into it as well.

Let me take you back a few steps to earlier today,
June 26, 2015 around 10am.
I've always joked that things just happen to me.
Things that would only happen to 1 in 1 million people...
yep, I'm that 1.
That's me.
I don't go out trying or looking for things,
they just seem to magically come my way.
Go figure.

I had underestimated how tall a camel was.
They are seriously tall...much more than a horse.
Most people would know this, but me,
nope.
I just wanted to ride one.
I didn't really think about what that all entailed.
I do now.
And I have a few bruises to show for it.
sigh.

When we arrived in Giza
our driver arranged for us to ride camels and have a tour of the pyramids.
I had already set aside my expectations that the camels were going to be prestine
so I wasn't surprised at how they looked.
It's been an interesting process putting aside my strong animal feelings during my visit.
But for my heart, I can't dwell on it too long.
So I won't.
The camel that was for me was named Pepsi.
He was a fiesty young dude, with a teenage attitude.
I thought, "Hey, no problem! I'm used to teenage attitude."
What I didn't anticipate was that getting on a camel is NOT,
and I repeat,
it is NOT like getting on a horse.
I did not know this,
and I feel that it is my duty to educate the world on this matter.

Getting on a camel is NOT like getting on a horse.
Don't hop up using the stirrup to balance you...
this will just make your camel hop up as well.
In the process you will be flung, sprawling to the ground
hoping to not land in a pile of camel poop.
Yes, this is what happened to me.
As I layed on the groud...
totally stunned that I had just fallen off a camel,
my racing thought was, "Where is that pile of fresh poop?"
I had seen in before and now I was worried that it would be plastered to my back.
That would not be the way to start a 2 hour camel ride.
Thankfully the poop was no where near my back, head or hands
and I sighed in relief.
I felt like a super idiot,
but at least it gave them something to talk about that day.

The rest of the time went off without a hitch or a fall.
Riding a camel is not for the unbalanced or the nervous person
or really for the person that is scared of heights!
Amy and I traded camels halfway through and Moses was a very tall guy,
much taller than Pepsi.
Moses did a good job keep me safe and wasn't as fast at getting up as Pepsi,
so that was great!

Moses and Sugar the guides horse.
Can't beat these moments!
Pyramid of Giza!
Pinch me!
I really can't believe that I've been there!
Just amazing...
Not everyone can say that they have sat of the ledge of the pyramid,
but Laura has.
Or hugged a stone made thousands of years ago!
But I have!
Whoa! THis amazing view was on the walk up to see the Sphinx
I was surprised at how small in was in comparison to everything else.
Photographs are usually taken at an angle so that it appears much larger.
Still awesome though!












No comments:

Post a Comment