Thursday, June 25, 2015

Zombie Corpses Got Nothing On Me


No, this post is not going to be about the Zombie Apocolypse,
though just as a reminder,
you have your plan in place, correct?
Ha! 
Traveling internationally sends me into a Zombie like state.
I'm in one place, then another, 
just herded around like a blob of zombies looking for their next meal.
I too am always looking for my next meal.
Follow along on this little adventure.
It's been a whirlwind the last few days!
Right now I'm sitting at the airport in Paris waiting for my flight to Cairo.
Laura is napping,
Which I'm secretly jealous of...
But I also thought that this would be a great time to write a few things.

First, there's a fabulous freedom when you're traveling in your thirties.
That was an unexpected surprise.
There's freedom in having more confidence 
when traveling that I can only think is attributed to age, ie wisdom.
Ha! Wisdom...I don't think that I've obtained that one yet.
But there is a calm that I have.
That is so nice!
We'll see if that continues into Egypt.

Paris feels familiar to me.
It has the same feeling of traveling in my younger days,
But without the financial stress.
I definitely don't miss stressing over cost.
As a twenty-something, that's as always a concern.
Not that I throw money around,
definitely not me,
but I'm not worried about it as I once was.
That gives me freedom to just enjoy.
Now I just feel like I can sit back and take it all in.

So what have we done, you may ask.
Well,
It's been a wild 3 days.
Adding Paris into our trip wasn't in the original plan.
Nope.
But when I started looking for flights it became clear that no matter what airline,
No matter what course,
we were going through Paris.
Naturally, how could we not stop! 
Time is always a restraint.
We only had so many days to spare 
and still be able to spend time in Egypt with Amy.
Therefore, Sunday to Wednesday it was to be.

Originally, I had big plans for Sunday.
I figured that we would rest up on the plane.
We'd be groggy when we arrived, 
but I knew that the excited would override that groggy fog.
Boy was I wrong.
I didn't sleep at all on the plane.
In the last couple hours of our flight into Paris,
I looked over to see Fuller sound asleep.
I fought back the urge to shake her 
so that she could be as miserable as I was,
but I dug deep and resisted.
The pangs of jealousy ran deep though.
Very deep.
No matter what I tried, sleep was not going to be my friend.
I was doomed to suffer.
Arriving at Paris I did feel a surge.
The excitement of checking this spot off my list was great, 
so it fought its way through my sleep-deprivation. 
We found our luggage (yay! It arrived!),
located a taxi,
informed him of our destination,
and off we went!

I think both of our eyes were huge,
jusst taking it all in.
There's just so much to adjust to
when arriving in a new country.
I found myself watching Laura 
and her reactions to watch she was viewing for the very first time.
The architecture,
the roadways,
the drivers, in cars, mopeds, and bikes,
weaving in and out of traffic.
It's intoxicating.
You find yourself in a blur of sensory overload...
and it's a good place to be. 

Arriving at the apartment,
we met the assistant and he showed us around,
making sure that we knew how to run things,
where things were located,
and other inportant information.

Once he left, we sat on the futon couch and took a breath.
I had my surge of energy and was ready to go...
I just wanted to take a quick shower.
oh wait, we should eat something real quick since it was Sunday.
On Sundays most stores are closed and the ones that are open,
don't stay that way for long.
Open and then closed.
You can see how getting food quickly became a priority.
So I forgo the shower 
and we head out down the street to find a little market.
Fortunately for us,
there was one right below our apartment.
Yay us!

Then I made the mistake.
I broke off a piece of bread and ate it.
Immediately I knew that had been the wrong choice.
But we were in Paris, how could I not eat bread?!
Those carbs do it to me every time.
I became really sleepy.
So sleepy, that I just wanted to lay down on the bed for a minute or two.
Not long, but just enough time to rest my little eyeballs.
Boom!
I was done and Laura was out too.
We were like corpses.
Dead to the world around us.

Both of us thought,
of we'll just set these alarms and wake up after short snoozes...
many snoozes later...
like 5 hours later, we had rested and 
could function more like humans 
and not so much like the walking dead.
Zombies no more.

I decided that I still wasn't going to get that much needed shower...
we had been told that June 21st is the Day of Music 
or the day when music is played.
All around the city muscians would be out playing on each corner.
Sounded like a good time to wander around 
and soak in all of the Parisan life that we could...
and we did.

But that will be told in the next post!
"Walk like a Parisan"



No comments:

Post a Comment